born 1951 (GBR)
Blo-Void 2 | 2004 | Sculpture
2004 | Sculpture | 68 x 58 x 120 cm
Mirror-polished aluminium, and polished inflated aluminium.
Inscribed with the artist's signature and numbered 19 / 20
Special Price: CHF 38'000.–
Provenance: Gallery De Pury & Luxembourg
Exhibitions: Gallery De Pury & Luxembourg, Zürich, Galerie Lovers of Fine Art, Gstaad
Als Sohn einer Malerin und eines Fotografen wuchs Ron Arad in Tel Aviv auf. Er studierte an der Bezalel Academy of Art and Design in Jerusalem und anschliessend an der Architectural Association in London.
Ron Arad (British, born 1951), is an influential industrial designer and architect known for his playful, inventive use of materials and his sophisticated incorporation of digital processes. Arad attended Bezalei Academy of Art and Design in Jerusalem before going on to study under Peter Cook and Bernard Schumi at London’s Architectural Association, where he met Nigel Coates, Zaha Hadid, and Peter Wilson. While Arad works primarily with metal, the 1990s saw the artist beginning to use wood and different textiles. Around the same time, Arad began to focus on making sculptural furniture. He has worked for brands such as Alessi, Swatch, and Kartell as a designer and as an architect. After teaching as a professor of product design in Vienna from 1994 to 1997, Arad was professor of furniture design at the Royal College of Art in London from 1997 to 2009. His work is held in the permanent collections of the Musée des Arts Décoratifs and the Musée National d’Art Moderne in Paris, the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Montreal, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. He lives and works in London.
1951_____Born in Tel Aviv
1971–1973_Jerusalem Academy of Art
1974–1979_Architectural Association - School of Architecture, studies under Peter Cook and B. Tschumi
1981_____Established One Off Ltd. with Caroline Thorman in Covent Garden, London
1989_____Founded Ron Arad Associates, Architecture and Design practice with Caroline Thorman in Chalk Farm, London
1991_____Guest Editor of 1994 International Design Yearbook and Designer of the Year
1994–1997_Professor of Product Design at the Hochschule in Vienna
1997_____Professor of Furniture Design at the Royal College of Art in London
His work has been widely featured in many design/architectural books and magazines worldwide. He is currently Professor of Design Product at RCA.
- Finalist for the 2002 World Technology Award for Design
- Oribe Art & Design Award, Japan, 2001
- Gio Ponti International Design Award, Denver, 2001
- Barcelona Primavera International Award for Design, 2001
- Co-winner of Perrier Jouët Selfridges Design Prize, London, 2001
- Design Plus Award, Frankfurt/Main; Internationaler Designpreis Baden-Württemberg, Design Center Stuttgart, 1999
- Designer of the Year, Salon du Meuble, Paris, 1994
- Royal Designer for Industry (RDI) in recognition of his ‘sustained excellence in aesthetic and efficient design for industry’, 2002
- Fellow of the World Technology Network, 2002